Anaheim Elementary School District McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act ensures students living in transition (considered homeless under the Act) have access to education and other services they need to meet the same high academic achievement standards as all students.
The federal government’s legal definition of homelessness based on the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act is anyone who:
- Is lacking a regular, fixed and adequate nighttime residence
- Is sharing housing due to economic struggles (double-up)
- Is living in a shelter, hotel or motel
- Is living in a public place not designed for sleeping (cars, parks)
- Is an unaccompanied youth
- Is a child or youth abandoned in a hospital
- Is a migrant child who qualifies under any of the above
Download the OCDE “What families need to know about homelessness” resource flyer
For assistance or additional information, please contact
the McKinney-Vento Office at (714) 517-7117.