Registering Students for Transitional Kindergarten (TK) or Kindergarten

TK and Kindergarten registration for the 2020‑21 school year will begin on January 13, 2020.

  • Children turning 5 years old on or before September 1 can be registered for Kindergarten.
  • Children turning 5 years old September 2 to June 30 can be registered for TK. 
Child smiling while swinging on playground swing.

The documents listed below are required to complete the registration process. All forms are available in the school office.

  1. Original Birth Certificate, Affidavit of Birth, Passport or Foster Care Agency Documents
  2. Proof of Address:
    • One item in parent/guardian name as proof of address (Mortgage, Lease/Rental Agreement), Electric bill (within 60 days) or Gas bill (within 30 days)
    • If you do not have a formal lease/rental agreement or if you are living with someone, your manager/landlord/owner must provide one of the items listed above as proof of address and must sign the Residence Verification Form (Formulario de verificación de domicilio)  The parent/guardian must also provide one additional document with home address in his/her name.
    • If your living situation meets the requirements of the McKinney-Vento Assistance Act, please inform the office.
  3. Physical Exam dated after February 1 of the current school year (for Kindergarten Only)
  4. Dental Exam required by May 31 of the first year of public school (for TK & Kindergarten)
  5. Immunization Record (doses dated, and clinic/doctor’s stamp next to each dose)

6. If student receives special education services, provide copy of Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
7. Court documents if applicable.

Required Immunizations:

Sick girl with chicken pox illustration

Polio4 doses given at any time (3 are enough if at least one was give after the 4th birthday)

DTP5 or more doses (4 are enough if last dose given after the 4th birthday)

MMR2 doses (both on or after 1st birthday)

Hepatitis B3 doses (total)

Varicella (chicken pox) – 2 doses on or after the first birthday, or healthcare provider documented varicella disease or immunity.

Receipt of the dose up to, and including, 4 days before the birthday will satisfy the school entry immunization requirement.

For more information on school entry health exam requirements visit the California Department of Health Care Services (DHCS) web site

Per SB 277 and health & Safety code section 120325 (c), students without up-to-date immunizations may enroll, but cannot attend until all required immunizations are up-to-date

Identification of English Learners

The California Education Code requires schools to determine the language(s) spoken at home by each student. This information is essential in order for schools to provide meaningful instruction for all students. If the Home Language Survey (HLS) indicates that your child has spoken or speaks a language other than English, your child will be assessed to determine his/her fluency levels in English. If your child is tested, you will be notified of the results along with a recommended program of instruction. If you have questions about the programs we offer, please see the AESD English Learners Master Plan:

Illustration of a kindergarten class listening to the teacher read out loud

Registering Students for Transitional Kindergarten (TK) or Kindergarten Was Last Modified: January 14, 2020