Age Requirement for TK & Kinder:
As a result of legislation passed in September of 2010, children will be admitted into a Kindergarten program at the beginning of the school year, or whenever upon moving into the district, if they will have their 5th birthday on or before September 1st. Students who will have their 5th birthday between September 2nd and June 30th can be admitted to Transitional Kindergarten*.
First time U.S. enrollment:
Students enrolling in a U.S. school for the first time will be placed strictly based on the birth date/grade level placement criteria.
|Birthdate Criteria||Grade Level|
|9/2/2016 – 9/1/2017||Pre-K (3 years)|
|9/2/2015 – 9/1/2016||Pre-K (4 Years)*|
|9/2/2015 – 12/2/2015|
(12/3/2015 – 6/30/2016)*
|9/2/2014 – 9/1/2015||Kindergarten|
|9/2/2013 – 9/1/2014||1|
|9/2/2012 – 9/1/2013||2|
|9/2/2011 – 9/1/2012||3|
|9/2/2010 – 9/1/2011||4|
|9/2/2009 – 9/1/2010||5|
|10/2/2008 – 9/1/2009||6|
|11/3/2007 – 10/1/2008||7|
*Child qualifies for either grade level
Frequently Asked Questions
My child will turn five years old on September 2 and I want him to go to Kindergarten… Can he/she?
No, AESD follows state Ed Code and your child must turn five years old on or before September 1 to enroll in Kindergarten. Your child is eligible to attend Transitional Kindergarten, since his/her 5th birthday is between September 2 and June 30.
My child will turn five years old on August 30, but I don’t want to send him/her to Kindergarten yet… can I enroll him/her in Transitional Kindergarten?
No, Transitional Kindergarten is only for students whose 5th birthday falls between September 2 and June 30.
We just moved from overseas and my child is age-appropriate for 3rd grade, but he/she did not finish 2nd grade at our school overseas… can I enroll my child in 2nd grade?
We first look at enrolling your child in the grade level they are age-appropriate for. You are welcome to talk to the principal at your child’s school site regarding placement questions you may have.
We just moved from out-of-state/overseas and my child is age-appropriate for 4th grade, but he/she was in 6th grade in our city/country… what grade level will my child be enrolled in?
We first look at enrolling your child in the grade level for which they are age-appropriate. You are welcome to talk to the principal at your child’s school site regarding placement questions you may have.
Process for Student Enrollment
- Verify student birth date and age provided at the time of initial enrollment.
- Use the chart to identify the appropriate age-range for each grade level.
- Specific guidelines for TK, K, 1st:
- Children born between September 2 and June 30 will be placed in the Transitional Kindergarten program. Parents do not have an option for a Kindergarten placement.
- Minimum age requirement for Kinder: A child shall be admitted to Kindergarten at the beginning of a school year, or at any later time in the same year if the child will have his or her fifth (5th) birthday on or before September 1st of that school year. (EC Section 48000; Kindergarten Readiness Bill 1381)
- A child shall be admitted to the first (1st) grade of an elementary school during the first month of a school year if the child will have his or her sixth (6th) birthday on or before September 1st of that school year. (EC Section 48010)
When age does not match reported grade level:
If a student provides documents that show he/she completed a grade level last school year, the student shall be placed in the next grade level for the upcoming school year unless retention documents from the previous district are provided.
Example: The student is age-appropriate for 6th grade but has report cards showing that he just finished 4th grade. The student will be placed in 5th grade for the new school year.