Age Requirement for TK & Kinder:
As a result of legislation passed in September of 2010, children will be admitted into a Kindergarten program at the beginning of the school year, or whenever upon moving into the district, if they will have their 5th birthday on or before September 1. Students who will have their 5th birthday between September 2 and December 2 will be admitted to Transitional Kindergarten.
First time U.S. enrollment:
Students enrolling in a U.S. school for the first time will be placed strictly based on the birth date/grade level placement criteria.
*** Based on space availability
|12/3/2015 – 9/1/2016||Pre-K (3 Years)|
|12/3/2014 – 6/30/2015||Pre-K (4 Years)
Expanded Transitional Kindergarten***
|12/3/2014 – 9/1/2015||Pre-K (4 Years)|
|9/2/2014 – 12/2/2014||Transitional Kindergarten|
|9/2/2013 – 9/1/2014||Kindergarten|
|9/2/2012 – 9/1/2013||1|
|9/2/2011 – 9/1/2012||2|
|9/2/2010 – 9/1/2011||3|
|10/2/2009 – 9/1/2010||4|
|11/2/2008 – 10/1/2009||5|
|12/3/2007 – 11/1/2008||6|
|12/3/2006 – 12/2/2007||7|
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Q My child will turn five years old on September 2 and I want him to go to Kindergarten… Can he/she?
- A No, AESD follows state Ed Code and your child must turn five years old on or before September 1 to enroll in Kindergarten. Your child is eligible to attend Transitional Kindergarten, since his/her 5th birthday is between September 2 and December 2.
- Q My child will turn five years old on August 30, but I don’t want to send him/her to Kindergarten yet… can I enroll him/her in Transitional Kindergarten?
- A No, Transitional Kindergarten is only for students whose 5th birthday falls between September 2 and December 2.
- Q We just moved from overseas and my child is age-appropriate for 3rd grade, but he/she did not finish 2nd grade at our school overseas… can I enroll my child in 2nd grade?
- A We first look at enrolling your child in the grade level they are age-appropriate for. You are welcome to talk to the principal at your child’s school site regarding placement questions you may have.
- Q We just moved from out-of-state/overseas and my child is age-appropriate for 4th grade, but he/she was in 6th grade in our city/country… what grade level will my child be enrolled in?
- A We first look at enrolling your child in the grade level for which they are age-appropriate. You are welcome to talk to the principal at your child’s school site regarding placement questions you may have.