“Scratch” is a programming language and an online community where children can program and share interactive media such as stories, games, and animation with people from all over the world. As children create with Scratch, they learn to think creatively, work collaboratively, and reason systematically. Scratch is designed and maintained by the Lifelong Kindergarten group at the MIT Media Lab.
This Spring ACSD had almost 200 projects submitted across 8 different schools in grades Kindergarten through 6th. We had a record number of animations submitted, a real variety of games, and the level of advanced programming evident in these projects was so impressive — even with only 4 months to create them!
I encourage you all to take a moment to explore these projects to get a sense for some amazing programmers-in-training we have here at ACSD!
Top Animation Projects
- Hero – Student: Anh; Teacher: Brown; School: Gauer
- Planets in Orbit – Student: Anthony; Teacher: Her
nandez; School: Edison
- Merging Food – Student: Luis; Teacher: Brown; School: Gauer
Top Video Game Projects
- Platformer Game! – Student: Christina; Teacher: P
atton; School: Stoddard
- Button Shooter – Student: Mark; Teacher: Brown; School: Gauer
- Run! – Student: Valerie; Teacher: Loc
k; School: Loara
Honorable Mention – Kindergarten!!!
We had two amazing Kindergartners share their creations with us this Spring. Please take a moment to look at the work of our youngest up-and-coming programmers!