Safety Is First at Barton School!
Your child’s safety at school is our number one priority. Barton School has procedures in place to address total school safety.
In addition, the District office has a crisis team that responds to emergencies at the school sites. This team coordinates a districtwide earthquake drill at least once each year. A psychological services team is also available to addresses mental health needs during and after a crisis.
If you have questions about a particular safety issue, please contact me and I will be able to assist you. –Ms. Derache
Emergency Procedure Reminder
Should an emergency or disaster situation arise in our area while school is in session, we want you to be aware that our school and school district have prepared to meet such situations. In the event of a major earthquake or other emergency during school hours, students will be kept under our supervision until the emergency is over and they can be released to their parent or other authorized adult.
Your cooperation is vital in any emergency. Please read the following instructions carefully, and keep them for your reference, so that you will know the proper procedure for being reunited with your child in the event of an emergency.
Emergency Procedures for Barton School
- School rules for student safety and conduct are reviewed at the beginning of each year and on a regular basis by each classroom teacher.
- All teachers are required to present lessons on bullying and harassment at the beginning of each trimester and as the need arises.
- Every visitor to our campus must sign in at the front office.
- All staff is trained in crisis response procedures; these procedures are posted in every work area at each school site.
- Fire drills are conducted monthly; earthquake and other crisis response drills take place at least four times per year.
- Safety inspections of the school grounds are conducted quarterly.
- Our safety committee meets quarterly and reviews accident reports to determine if action needs to be taken to remedy a potential hazard.
- Please DO NOT telephone the school. Telephone lines may be needed for emergency communications.
- All school gates will be LOCKED and the campus will be secured in the event of a major disaster or emergency. We will begin releasing students only after we have accounted for everyone.
- Students will be released only to adults with proper identification & listed on the student’s emergency card. Please keep your emergency contact information up to date by speaking with our office.
- The Student Release Gate at Barton School is the gate located on Agate Street. The front office will be closed during an emergency.
- Please be patient and know that our priority is the safety of all children. We will reunite you with your child as soon as possible.
We look forward to seeing you at Back to School Night on August 30th!